Sunday, June 26, 2005

Carmel, LA - who knew?

These totals are running:
Total miles: 2052
Total hours on the road: 30:41
Average speed: 68 mph
High temp: 96

Okay, so Friday we made our way from Dallas to New Orleans. The interstate here passes through very few cities and no towns. Therefore, if you need to, say, pee or get gas or food, good luck. I don't think it does much for the tourist biz. Most of the route looked like this picture - green and lush, dotted with the occasional state trooper or blown-out tire.

We left Phil and Mary Anne's a little after 11 and got to our New Orleans La Quinta about 9. This was after a detour through some of the seedier sections of town due to faulty directions. The good news was the hotel was very nice and perfectly located. We checked in and they took our cars for us (thank you), headed up to drop our stuff in the room and wash some LA dirt off, walked the dog, and headed down to Bourbon St. It was certainly lively, full of people, and ripe with odors of vomit and urine. But, we had fun, went to a place called Cajun Cabin for dinner. We had fried crawfish tails, Louisiana crab cakes, and fried catfish. There was a Cajun band playing and they got Brandon up and into a washboard. I spent a little time with a tambourine. Sadly, we did not bring a camera to document. Brandon, being the consummate showman that he is, even helped a couple gals out later when they had the washboard on but did not know how to play it. A picture of that is going to end up in someone else's bachelorette party photos. After that, one of the bachelorette's friends came over to thank me for the loan of my man. Brandon came over and announced he was already married. Yes, Darling, we know. They don't want to marry you, just using you for the moment.

We headed to Pat O'Brien's and got a hurricane to go. We saw one gal flash for beads, and then headed back to our room, satisfied we'd gotten the full experience. Or, at least as full of an experience two road-weary folks needed.

In the morning, we walked with the dog to Cafe du Monde for chicory coffee and beignets. Good stuff. I have some serious acclimating to do, however, as my face was constantly covered in sweat beads while others remained dry. I probably looked like I was detoxing.

After breakfast, we got back on the road and made it to Jacksonville in time for a late dinner. More on that later!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:52 PM

    You're making great time! Isn't the humidity horrible? Should I tell you it's been beautiful and in the 70's here? No, probably not.

    We miss you already! Hope you're having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:28 PM

    Mmm....beignets! And boobs the night before? Good times for everyone! Today I missed you more than any other day so far, well maybe the same as yesterday...
    I love this, though, it is the first thing I do after I put the girl to sleep and the last thing I do before I head to bed (What an exicting life I lead). I feel like I am right there with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:24 AM

    ...and they were never heard from again...


    HELLOOOOOO?????????????

    ReplyDelete