Sunday, February 05, 2006

Hounds


Hounds, originally uploaded by Monkey loves Kitten.

Last Saturday my neighbor, Evelyn, and I headed out to the local junior college to help with a doggie adoption event. The event was held by the group who cared for Shane until we met her. The leader, Shari, teaches ceramics and some of my neighborhood ladies know her from that. Sadly the day wasn't very well organized, gladly three dogs found homes despite that. Evelyn only fell down twice and sustained no injuries, which was good. And only one of those times was she knocked down by a three-legged dog. (Second from left in the upper corner.) I fell in love with the blue heeler, he reminded me of Quentin. I also really liked Wheatie who I described to all as "Wheatie the Sweetie." She's the one on her back. She rolled over for everyone, just wanted a belly scratch.

The day also gave me the opportunity to finally fill out adoption papers and give the group some money. Shari misses Shane so much she kept "forgetting" to send me the necessary forms. So, six month hence, it's a done deal.

Only one incident scarred the day for me. The event was at a college on a Saturday. The college has Saturday classes so there were students about. I walked up to a volunteer with a dog talking to a student on his bike. The kid was asking her questions about the dog and I noticed she was responding to him in a very curt manner. I was going to add to the conversation as I got there but the student pedaled off. I looked at the volunteer and she had the most sour expression on her face as she rolled her eyes. I reacted by asking, "Why are you making that face?" She shrugged and looked away. Since she didn't respond, I don't know what her actual thoughts were, but I suspect her behavior was due to this kid being black. Living in the South I really expected to see a lot more of this, Confederate flags do fly, but this was about the most blatant I've seen so far.

Attitudes about race have been on my mind lately. With the celebration of Dr. King's birthday and the passing of Coretta, I think the least any of us can do is spend some time thinking about our own beliefs and how we came to hold them. Were we influenced by our parents? Friends? Media? If we're prone to speak about or make assumptions about groups based on their racial or religious background, what is the basis? Is any good served by this? And, if you feel that because someone looks like you, they share your opinions, like that volunteer did, please think twice. You could be talking to me, and believe me, you have no idea what I'm thinking. Okay, I'm probably thinking about ice cream, but you get the drift.

Oh, and adopt some puppies!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:28 PM

    Excellent post, Rebecca.
    I remember when I was working on Overpass Rd (thats where the psycho lady who killed all those people at the postal office lived!) some years back, I was thinking of volunteering at the animal shelter during my lunch break as it was a block away. Decided not to when I saw the dogs looking at me basically saying "choose me." They know whats going on.

    Anyway I got to go. 16 candles is on.
    "no more yankie my wankie....The Donger need food!."

    Also
    "Lake...Big Lake."
    Anybody else have favorite quotes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! We were watching the same Breakfast Club - Sixteen Candle marathon out here in TN! How funny.

    And YAH! Adopt a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:22 AM

    Of course two of my favorite puppy-adopters commented first! Rob, I remember when you worked there. I came to visit you and you were afraid your pervy boss would say something pervy to me. I don't think he did.

    I think my fave lines from SC are Dong's one-liners: "Automobile?" & "Married!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:33 AM

    I've been thinking about issues of race a lot too. We've had 5 stabbings in a month here by Latino gang members. This is new teritory for us in a small quiet town like Ojai and it is the kind of thing that can polarize a town along racial lines. Tolerance is one things that I try to weave into my lessons all the time as a social studies teacher. We had the pleasure of hosting one of the Little Rock Nine as a speaker at our school for Martin Luther King day. What a powerful message he had to share about non violent protest and how one person can make an incredible impact. Thanks for a thought provoking post.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:54 AM

    Unfortunately, most nationalities have commited violent crimes and have also been victims to such crimes. The media makes it a point to describe people by nationalities.

    By the by, your doggie entries always tug at my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't the puppy in upper right corner look like Dooce's Chuck? ;o)

    ReplyDelete