Monday, May 15, 2006

I'm back

Alright, where did we leave off? Perhaps in Wyoming. Okay, Sunday we left Cheyenne after enjoying our free waffles (we stay at La Quinta and they do that) and trucked across Wyoming into Utah. I did not get a picture of the welcome sign because it was lame and I didn't realize it was the sign. It was a small billboard mentioning the Olympics. It didn't have the sense of commitment and permanence the other states' signs do.

Once into Utah, I-80 dropped to 65mph. Uncool. Luckily the speed increased again once past Salt Lake City. Luckily all we did in SLC was pass through it. The Great Salt Lake was pretty cool to drive past. It smelled like the ocean only stagnant. I suppose those out boating either had the benefit of air movement or were used to it. From there to the border we passed lots and lots of salt. We saw the Morton salt plant which was processing like crazy. I felt my blood pressure rise just looking at it. Beyond that the salt got even thicker and in the sun it glistened like so much Vegas showgirl jewelry. Sadly my drive-by method of photography didn't capture it well.

We ended our day in Elko, Nevada. Our hotel had a sign that said "Dog Walk" which directed you through a gate out the back of the property onto a dirt road leading to houses. I guess that's one way to deal with it. That one was not a La Quinta. Our original plan was to make that my last night on the road but we decided to make one more stop in Reno. Our days have been 550 to 650 miles and a good nine hours behind the wheel. My sitting parts are not my friends any more. So, now tomorrow I head to Monterey with the dogs and Brandon hopes to get to Eugene for his last night on the road. In the meantime, we'll be hitting the Sierra Trading Post Outlet store and the all-you-can-eat sushi place.

More later!

6 comments:

  1. mmmm waffles.

    ps I'm moving too! If you'll be in the area a while (like anytime in June?) you should come check the place out!!

    Garage = "studio" I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont believe you ever finished this trip... blog wise.

    What have you been doing lady?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please, oh please, come back to blogland. I will tell you how pretty you are and that you smell nice. I will lovingly caress your website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! You and I talked about it last weekend and you said you would... you did, you did, you did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:48 AM

    Looking for information and found it at this great site... »

    ReplyDelete