Friday, July 22, 2005

Hittin' the road

I've taken a couple of afternoons to drive around and explore. Last Friday I drove North and then East on 55. I went through the towns of Arapahoe, Minnesott Bean, Oriental, Stonewall, Bayboro, and Alliance. I think the combined population was under 1000. Most of the people lived in this one, giant house.

Often these towns have signs beckoning you to visit, welcoming you in, and then you find yourself debating doubling back as you think you surely must've missed it. There has to be more. They wouldn't put up all those signs unless there was something to see, right?

I did see this field of masts. They seem to grow well with tobacco.


On my way home, I was accompanied by this storm. It was nice enough to stay just off to my right. I tried to get a shot of the lightening, but it's a wee bit faster than my camera.


Yesterday, I drove East through Havelock, Newport (one of those towns with the signs and the nothing), Morehead City and Beaufort. Here, that is pronounced Bofert. The town in South Carolina is Bewfert. Don't mix that up. People will stare.

On my way back, I saw this guy. He's got a cancer awareness ribbon magnet on the side of his car. And, yes, he's smoking. I guess the awareness is limited. Of course, this is North Carolina. If you would like, you could get a tobacco leaf on your license plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment