Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Gingerbread recipe

This is the recipe I used for gingerbread. It is called Edinburgh Gingerbread. I don't know what makes it Scottish, but I added an extra Scottish kick by soaking the currants I substituted for sultanas in McClelland Scotch over night. I also baked it in a one pound loaf pan, which seemed to be fine. I found the recipe on scotfood.com, which is operated by a Canadian, but I trust it anyway. ;)

8 oz Plain flour
1 ts Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
2 ts Ground ginger
1 ts Cinnamon
pn Salt
6 oz Butter
6 oz Treacle (honey)
4 oz Brown sugar
6 tb Milk
2 Eggs
2 oz Sultanas (golden raisins)
2 oz Almonds; flaked
Sift the flour, spices, salt and soda; and then stir in the fruit and nuts. Melt the butter with the treacle and sugar on a low heat. The mixture should remain coolish but the sugar dissolved. Add the milk and stir in the eggs. Pour the warm mixture into a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly to form a batter. Pour into a greased and lined 2 lb loaf tin. Bake at 325°F / 160°C / gas mark 3 for 1 1/4 hours. This is a fairly heavy recipe and may sink on cooling.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I'm gonna try this. We just thru together a TJ's brownie mix over the holidays, which doesn't count as homemade...

    ReplyDelete