Thursday, January 12, 2006

Scrabbled Thursdays

Each Thursday a group gathers at the club house for two games of Scrabble. Usually we have two boards set up with three or four players at each. After the first game we eat lunch, then onto game two. The highest scores from the first round play against each other for the second round, lowest with lowest. Oh, and there's money involved. Everyone ponies up two bucks and three prizes are awarded. Highest combined score, second highest combined score, and highest play score. Today I had highest play score with 33 points. This got me a $3 prize. I got $3 last week, too, but I didn't have the highest play score, and I don't know what earned me that. I didn't complain, it paid for my unsweet tea. If you haven't been to the South, you may not be familiar with unsweet tea. It's what you have to say when you order iced tea if you don't want sweet tea. And if you're used to plain iced tea, you probably don't want sweet tea. It is not the same thing as iced tea with sugar added. It's almost syrupy and quite a shock when you're not expecting it. I made that mistake one time, and I doubt I'll forget and do it again. My jaw spasms at the thought.

I am going to visit another southern town next weekend - Memphis. Our friends Vonnie and Wendy live there along with Quentin's girlfriend, Georgia, and her new brother, Jack. We've not seen them since their move a year ago. We'll be doing touristy stuff and taking lots of pictures and generally causing trouble. Stay tuned for a report. I'm flying there out of Raleigh, which is a couple of hours from here. I leave mid-afternoon so I can check the pups into detention and drive up without having to get up early - a big selling point for me. I also get back mid-afternoon which nicely facilitates a trip to Costco in Durham. I am excited about this to an embarrassing degree. Really, I'm telling everyone. It's just sad.

1 comment:

  1. All of you are gonna have large quantities of some sort of drinks and be silly and loud. Oh, I wish I was going. Have fun (as if I need to add that).

    ReplyDelete