Thursday, October 27, 2005

Letter to my husband

Happy birthday, Kitten! I hope that this day is good for you. As good as it can be, that is. Have an extra near beer on me.

A year ago, at your birthday party, you proposed to me on bended knee. It was a a wonderful moment and a terrific day. Even though we both knew it was coming, you were so nervous and I was so surprised. Some of our closest friends were there and everything was wonderful except the cheesecake I over-baked. The year since then has brought more changes than I could have known. By virtue of marrying you, I became a homeowner, an unemployed one to boot! I now live in the south and eat grits. I drove across country and saw many new places. I was lucky enough to spend a few hours in New Orleans. (I'm drinking coffee out of your Cafe du Monde mug right now.) I gained an incredible family and supportive friends. If a man can be judged by his family and friends, you are at the top.

The day you deployed was one of the hardest for me. I can't say it was the worst, though. You were in it. Your sister, Kim, thanked me for loving you the way I do. I thought a lot about that and realized I don't have a choice. If I did, this separation might be a little easier. But no, that's not the way it goes. I met you and I was a goner. Sure, you have your moments, but they are few and far between and currently nonexistent. And I know I've tested your patience once or twice. In the whole, you make me want to be better. Meeting you has taken me in a direction I never could have imagined and elicited traits and feelings in me that I didn't know possible. I feel like one of those sappy Blue Mountain greeting cards when I think about what this marriage means to me. A little embarrassing but not enough to stop me from telling you all this here. Because that's how much I love you! Sheesh. I just can't stop.

By my calculations, 38% of your tour has passed. I've tried not to think of how much time has elapsed and how much time is left. I'm buoyed a bit that more than a third is behind us. Hopefully the next time I figure it we'll be past the halfway mark.

I miss you terribly and I love you more than you know.

-Your Wife

3 comments:

  1. That is so sweet, thank you for sharing it with all of us!

    Happy Birthday B! We can't wait to get you back home!

    love you both lots,
    Kim, Justin and Noah

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me weep enough to actually have to blow my nose. And then when I start thinking about how lucky i am to do what i do i just cry buckets. I could just TELL in our first meeting that you guys had it going on - the way you interacted with each other, it was.. well, joyful. Pure happy joy love stuff. !! gosh darn it.. I need more tissues..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:28 PM

    It's a joy to see that you and Brandon fit so well together. One is always hopeful that the people we love and hold dear can know such a deep and abiding love with their partners in life. Here's to Brandon's swift and safe return!

    xoxo,
    A. Nora & U. Larry

    ReplyDelete