Monday, October 10, 2005

Rain

Well, my mom arrived last Thursday evening, about an hour after the rain. It's Monday morning and they're both still here. That my mom is still here is not a surprise, I received a copy of her itinerary in advance. The rain was not so thoughtful. We received six inches Saturday, effectively putting New Bern's 25th Annual MumFest out of business. From what we could tell, we missed out on a craft fair, or as I like to call them - crap fair. Probably quite similar to Ventura's twice yearly downtown festival. In other words, a crowded street with overpriced food and yard decor we can certainly live without. Still, we were sorry to have the option taken away. I was looking forward to the excitement. Instead, I had the excitement of a leak in the roof causing damage to my bathroom ceiling. I am now very familiar with the attic and have become quite deft at climbing through the rafters and not falling through the ceiling. Of course the location of the leak is the total opposite side of the house from the attic access, so I kinda had to learn quickly. Long story short, the leak has been repaired. I'll need to get the ceiling fixed, but that's not urgent. Since we technically live in a townhome, the homeowners' association owns the outside so the repairs were on them. The kicker is the cause of the leak was a $5 piece of plastic. Good stuff.


All the rain caused some flooding in the area and added many water traps to the golf course. We saw a group of boys taking full advantage of a brand new watering hole on the green, splashing about and pulling out their skim boards. The next day it was gone, glad to see they seized the day.

2 comments:

  1. Im sorry you guys got rained out of all of your activities! Hopefully it will clear up soon.

    Im very impressed with your attic climbing skills, I know that isnt very easy or very fun! Did you take your mom on a tour of the attic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She declined my offer to join me. She wasn't very gracious about it either.

    ReplyDelete