Monday, November 07, 2005

My new friends

Last Thursday I went to a meeting of the garden club and joined up for $15 per annum. It was an hour and a half of three dozen ladies talking about a number of things including, but most certainly not limited to, gardening. After that, I stayed for a game of Scrabble, lunch, and more Scrabble. It was a pretty fun day, I have to admit. And, it got me invited to a wine and hors d'oevres evening at one of the gal's places tonight. I was excited to have plans. I put on some slacks and a twin set and was ready a half hour early. The evening started at 5:30 so I had to bump up the evening dog walking/tooth brushing/feeding ritual an hour. I hitched a ride with some other neighborhood denizens and we arrived promptly. There were ten or twelve women there and plenty of food. A few hours later many of the party-goers suddenly left including my ride. Luckily, I'd met Sylvia, who also lives on my street, and she offered to give me a ride if I wanted to stay. And then it was 10:30. A good time. Thank you garden club!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you are making friends and having fun!

    I have to know, do you brush your dog's teeth every night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't say 'per annum.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple of things...
    1) Are you living in some sort of Stepford township?
    2) What DID you chat about other than gardening?
    3) Also wondering, as is Kim, if you brush your dogs' teeth nightly?
    4) "Per anum" doesn't bother me so much. However the word "slacks" creeps me out. Stop!
    5) Bravo on the branching-out thing (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I do brush their teeth every day. It happens after the long, afternoon walk and before fish oil pills and dinner, which is kibble, or dinkibble. In the morning it's breakibble. And, yes, there are songs that go with all of it.

    I can't help it, when I put on my slacks, I just have to speak Latin!

    No, it is not Stepford-ish here. Mainly because I am the only one in this group in her 30s. The next youngest is late-50s. Mostly the ladies are 60s and 70s.

    ReplyDelete