Thursday, August 11, 2005

Visit

Yesterday I had a nice visit from Liz and Bob, my dad's cousin and husband. They are New Yorkers who retired to the west coast of Florida devote themselves full-time to the golf gods. They were en route to Virginia to visit Liz's sister and were kind enough to make a detour over to me to take me to lunch and get licked by the dogs. Their visit got me thinking about the time I spent with them in New York in '98. While I was still with Lenox, I traveled east annually for a meeting and always extended my ticket a week or so to take advantage of free airfare to do some vacationing. That year, the meeting was in New Jersey, so I went a week early and spent the time in the Hudson River valley along with a few trips to The City, alone and with their daughter, Kate. It was a really nice time and we really enjoyed getting to know each other. I also saw my great-aunt, Jean, for the last time. Some years ago, Jean typed 50 pages of family lore. Included were experiences she recalled, family stories she was told, and dates of births, marriages, and deaths. This is truly an invaluable family resource and I am very thankful Aunt Jean did this for all of us. I learned of this written history while on that visit and Liz kindly sent me a copy after my return. She also sent a copy of a baby photo of herself that I found hilarious. Don't worry, she grew out of it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment